10.13.2009

Parental Highlight

11:45 pm.
.....
Brett and I stood in Jack's dark room.
.....
Jack lay sleeping in his carseat after a desperation drive to soothe him to sleep.
.....
In the glow of Jack's nightlight, I looked at Brett.
.....
Brett looked at me.
.....
Our glances indicated that I would be the lucky one to transfer him to his crib.
.....
Post-surgery had left us unsure of what position Jack would stay asleep in.
.....
I whispered, "Back or stomach?"
.....
Brett blinked slowly.
.....
So, in this, a highlight of our parenthood, we shrugged.
....
I sighed, "You be back, I'll be stomach."
.....
And then. We did it.
....
We pulled out the best decision maker we know and we
paper-rock-scissored.
.....
Me: Paper, Brett: Scissors.
.....
"Back, ok, back."
.....
I gingerly took a sweaty little Jack from his carseat and laid him softly on his back.
.....
His little eyes shot open, and Brett's frantic voice chanted,
"No, no, no, stomach, stomach, stomach."
.....
And Jack was immediately flipped.
.....
This is Jack, today.
..... The 3 days before today, not so much. .
.........
Since we got home from the hospital, my sweet and amazing little sleeper had taken a vacation.
.....
Pain medication and Jack's chill disposition did not agree.
.....
Today Jack is off pain meds.
......
Today, I have my Jack back.
.....
And it's a dang good thing.
.....
Who knows what shenanigans we would have pulled tonight.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Paper rock scissors solves every problem in parenting. Randy begs to differ however, he ALWAYS loses which means he ends up changing Max's poopy diaper every time we play that game. I have mad skills, especially when I pull tree, axe, pencil, high heel, cheese, mouse, poo, eraser etc.

melimba said...

dear dear sarah.

man, I have loved catching up and getting to read all these posts from little jack's life. He is quite the little trooper!--as are you and Brett!! Man, is that baby so sweet, or what?! You can just tell by the photos.

And, don't you think being a mom is the best gift ever? I know. It is harder/crazier/better than I ever thought it would be.

I'm glad you have little Jack in your life. And I'm glad life is getting back to normal/good again.

oh, and the paper rock scissors game? We subscribe to that form of parenting more often than not. :) Way to be.

love,
melis

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...I love it! Isn't amazing how we are given these sweet little babies and are expected to know what to do with them?! The longer I have my kids the more pissed I am that no one told me I needed to go to medical school before becoming a parent! I'm already getting nervous for the teenage years when I am going to wish I was a psychiatrist!! I guess I will just keep paper, rock, scissors up my sleeve.

I am so glad to see that Jack is doing well!!!

Love ya!