4.29.2010

Adoring Annie...the Birthday Girl

...
...
adore
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈdȯr\
1 : to worship or honor

2 : to regard with loving admiration and devotion

3 : to be very fond of

4: the way one little sister by the name of Sarah feels about her big sister, Annie.

.///

I'm pretty sure that I was born adoring Annie.

My entire life, I've followed, tagged along, copied, and done everything in my power to be like her.

And she's turning the big 3-0.

...

Holla!

Definitely due time for a birthday post in her honor.

(and a day early...I might add)

...

Might I just say, I'm pretty sure that the Big Man Upstairs knew just exactly who I'd be in this life of mine and that I could. not. survive. without my two amazing sisters.

Thank goodness for birthdays, and the chance it gives me to recognize them.

Today is Annie's turn.

...

When I was little, I don't think I did anything worth remembering without Annie right next to me. We're separated by 4 years, but that wasn't cause for much separation.
As our oldest sister, Kate, was often too cool and consumed by Wham! REM, Christian Slater, and things that "oldest" siblings do...we were often involved in all sorts of shenanigans in our attempt to be cool, too.
...
Living proof we tried to be cool like Kate...the year of the round brushed bob!
1. 2 . all 3 of us.
Nailed it.
...
Annie and I walked to school together, played school after school together, and made crusty faces together at Annie's friend Mandy who always had to be in charge when she played school with us.
1st Day of School 1989
...
We played what all little kids play...you know- bar, bank, Olympic rollerblading, and landlord.
Halloween 1987
...
When Annie got her first training bra and was embarrassed at school, I wrote her a note that said, "sorry about your bur."
...
Disneyland, 1990
We rode bikes, played Mario 3, made up half-time dances for Jazz games, and made classic infomercials for great products like Poo-Be-Gone.
Us probably attacking Kate with touching & affection, just like we do now. She loves it....
...
We'd wear shirts on our head like we had long hair, play McDonald's drive -thru (while bumping some sweet tunes), and run from the neighbors humping dog, Rambo after going to their house to "jump."
......
Quite sure here that my shirt is made of the same material as Annie's shorts.
And...how did Kate escape a face/hair shot here?
...
We always had each other's back... like the time she was babysitting my friend Stacey and I was over playing and had a bit of an "accident." She blamed it on their dog Star.
Even though Star never had accidents.
.
.....
And we giggled. Oh man, did we giggle.
I think it's fair to say we got a few, "settle downs" from our parents.
...
.1988
...
Although, I'm certain Annie and I "played" until she was a sophomore in High School, she eventually grew up. But our relationship never changed.
...
She still let me tag along.
She still made me feel like I belonged with her group of friends.
We still occupied the entire upstairs of my parent's house together.
And she still took time for me.
A little sister's dream.
....
...
I remember her taking me on a date when she was in High School.
She took me to see Dante's Peak and we snuck in treats.
I think for like 9 years, I claimed Dante's Peak was my favorite movie.
(job well done, Pierce Brosnan).
...
...
When I was 12, I went to Academy for Girls at BYU.
I didn't want to go because the Jazz were in the playoffs.
And I was totally obsessed with Karl Malone, afterall.
Annie initiated my ditching out the last day, and picked me up to go to the playoff game.
My hero.
...
When Annie went to school in Hawaii, I made her a tape of lines from movies we always watched together.
I watched those movies night after night while she was gone.
......
......
Do you think it's fair to say I adored her?
......
The coolest thing about Annie is that she entirely endulges me and my slight obsession of her by always being there when I'm bored, lonely, hyper, sad, anxious, worried, happy, excited, etc.
She 100% reciprocates...and makes me feel cool.
..mm.
Like the summers when Hayley and I would go on the Ride (a week of horseback riding/camping with my grandpa and his friends & kids) and Annie was so old and cool in our eyes.
Rather than act like we were two annoying little 11 year olds (like we were), she showed us the ropes, took care of us, and taught us how to do things the Joe's Valley way.
...
Joes Valley 1995
Then, there was the time when I was going to SUU and I didn't answer my phone for like 2 hours.
Yeah. She left 89 messages on my phone.
She laughed at herself in like 87 of them.
...
Or, the time when I was also going to SUU and she drove all the way down just to surprise me on my doorstep when I was having a rough week.
Graduation, University of Utah 2005
remember that day, sis? ewww.
...e
Then, there's the numerous times she's left me an Oreo frosty in my freezer or watched Jack for me, or fed me dinner when I was husbandless for the night.
...
...
Jack and Annie, October 2009
...
She always listens.
Always cares.
Always knows what to say and when.
(for heavens sakes, it really is just like talking to myself!)
Always makes me laugh.
Always loves me for me.
And always let me be...her shadow.
m...
...
Oh sister. I know turning thirty's causing you stress.
But, I've been a part of your life for nearly 7/8 of it, and you've managed to make a complete and total fan out of me.
You're a remarkable mother, a great sister, daughter, wife, aunt, and friend. You have a certain charm about you that just makes people love you.
Not a bad person to shadow, I'd say.
...
Forget age.
You have and always will be....adored.
By me.
Your little sister.
Happy Birthday Modon!
I love you.
...
...
Oh, and remember this?
30's got nothing on you!

7 comments:

huggin said...

You have out done yourself! What an amazing, great, awesome and tender tribute post! I love love love the old pictures more than life it self!

You are truly lucky to have annie as a big sister.

Annie said...

Oh sis...I am crying, and laughing at the same time, so mission accomplished friend. We've had some great memories man, and I know there are many more to come. Knowing you always have my back gives me more comfort than you will ever know. It's hard to believe how much time has passed and our bond continues to grow each year. I love you so much and thank you from the bottom of my heart for the amazing tribute. Thanks for giving me a day longer to show my face on your blog before dad steals my thunder! You are the best friend/sister I could ever hope for.

Jessie said...

Awesome tribute, Sar! Annie is the best! Those pictures from hair-dos past are priceless. I was looking through my scrapbook last week and I found some divine ones of all of us in Disneyland. Why did the perm go out of style? I think I'll bring it back cause we all looked HOT!!!!! Happy Birthday Annie. I adore (said with a French accent) you too!

Jennikunz said...

Love the post Sarah! Made me cry too! Annie is the best. She has been the only sister I have even known. Very truly greatful for her! Thanks for the classic pictures! She will kick 30's ass!

hayleyrowan said...

what a sweet post. happy birthday annie!! you two have always been quite the team! remember when we would pass the af cemetery in the rice burner and annie would hold her breath and her cheeks would look like dopey on snow white and you and i would laugh our guts out. speaking of cool, remember when she went on that date with randy and she had on that short, terry cloth, pink, roxy dress, i remember thinking how i couldn't wait to get to high school so i could go on a date and look like that!

Robyn Cox said...

Classic post Sarah! So fun to see the old pictures. Kristeen and I would wear the shirts on our heads for long hair as well. I think long white slips worked well too. Good times! Happy Birthday Annie!

Lucky 7s said...

Great post! I was going to use the word "classic" but Robyn beat me to it. Annie is also a wonderful daughter in law. We love having her in our family too. Thanks for sharing her!