8.30.2009

My Claim to Fame

*****
Karl Tucker.
*****

You may hear him referred to as

"Tuck" "Heber" "Coach" or "Heebs."

*****
***** Among some of his accolades: BYU Golf Coach 1961-1992. His teams won 19 Western Athletic Conference champions, 16 individual WAC championships, and 170 Tournaments. He's a Utah Golf Hall of Famer, as well as a National Golf Coaches Hall of Famer. He was recognized as WAC Coach of the Year 13 times.
* Addition: I don't know how I forgot the 1st time I published this, his team won the National Championship in 1981! *****
*****
***** To me, he's grandpa.
*****
*****
He's not just the kind of grandpa that you see at Christmas, or get a birthday card from in the mail, either. ********
**
He's one of my best friends and most influential people in my life.
*****
And, my claim to fame. *****
*****
Many images come to mind when I think of my grandpa. Gliding flawlessly down the ski hill, hitting a perfect shot on the golf course, and cheering me on in support (no matter what the event) are some of the pictures that come to mind.
*****
However, the image that stands out in my mind most is Heber on the back of a horse.
Growing up, many of us in my grandpa's family had the unique experience of riding horses with him. I'm proud to have my own memories of such a time.
One summer, when my cousin Hayley and I were around the age of ten, my grandpa turned me and Hayley from just pre-teen rats into full blown cowgirls. He outfitted us with our own cowboy boots from Reams, accented with some smooth new riding gloves to match the one's he always wore. He took us to a corral and taught us skill and technique in riding, and would watch us gallop around and around for hours on end. Our skill really paid off as he lead us into the mountains above his pasture, where we would ride for what felt like entire days. We'd always wrap up the day with some chicken fingers and a cherry fresh lime at Ripples.
*****
Sure he taught us good riding posture, and how to handle and care for a horse. But, he taught us so much more... life lessons that I couldn't have learned any better way.
*****
Summer after summer I had the privilege of continuing this tradition with my grandpa. We would go on a week-long excursion with his riding buddies to a place called Joe's Valley. I get the same homesick feeling now when I think of this place as I did when I had to leave it each year.
*****
To this day, this annual ride, remains as one of the very greatest highlights in my life. You couldn't have asked for more beautiful scenery, better company, or more genuine fun.
*****
The best part was that the end of every day, grandpa would gleam and ask his friends if they had ever seen better riders than his grand-daughters in their lives.
*****
Each day on the Ride, Annie and Hayley and I would wake up before the sun, to catch, brush, and saddle up the horses. Grandpa never asked us to. The sheer pleasure of seeing his proud face every morning, drove us to do it anyway. We would ride all day, talking and laughing so hard it hurt. Grandpa would stock up on an assortment of Starburst, Nibs, and Callard & Bowsers and toss them back to us on the trail. I can just see him firing us up to gallop along a trail or in an open meadow, followed by some yelping, "yee-hawing, " and his gloved hand raised to signal us to slow down. Hayley and I always mimicked this in our efforts to be real cowboys.
*****
These times on the back of horse, as well as many days spent on the ski hill, helped define who I am today.
*****
I learned to have a sense-of-humor about myself and situations.
I learned to love life and enjoy it.
I developed a deep love for the outdoors and the beautiful mountains.
I learned to not sweat the small stuff.
I learned to have confidence in myself.
I learned the importance of family and memories.
I learned what genuine happiness was.
I absolutely learned how lucky I was to have Karl Tucker as my grandpa.
*****
*****
*****
I am always amazed at the confidence exuded by this man. It's the same confidence that allows him to park in prohibited spot, wave to every local celebrity in a parade, and talk to guys like Tom Brokaw on the ski lift. I've come to a 100% conclusion, however.
He's earned every last bit of his confidence. *****
He may have fake knees, a pacemaker, and who knows what else, but this man has got heart. He's got a zest for life and a soul that has affected hundreds of people the way he's affected me.
*****
*****
Thanks, grandpa.
*****
***** For giving me a piece of you, when you had so many others who would just die for the attention you've given to me and the rest of our family.
*****
I know you're not the type to have favorites, but thanks for making me feel like I'm yours. I can think of an endless number of people who feel that you're their #1 fan, and I'd say that's one of your greatest accomplishments.
*****
Although many would put up a good fight for this title, I'm going to claim it this time.
*****
I'm your #1 fan.
*****
*****
Hang in there Heber!
*****
Everyone is rooting for you the same way you've rooted for all of us.
*****
I love you and I'm so proud that you're my claim to fame.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Sarah...what to even comment after that? I'm in tears just reading it. In fact, Kate called just as I was reading this and she was crying and reminising about grandpa. He truly made all of us feel like we are his favorite..(by the way I really am, he told me!)What a tremedous example. I shared the best times of my life with him and I would do anything to have one more jaunt in the loaping meadow with Heebs. Excellent post man. Sidenote... you forgot possibly his biggest achievement in the golf world, winning the National Championship in 1981, again...I'm his favorite.

Annie said...

Oops, I spelled reminiscing and loping wrong, sorry about that!

VOO said...

Holey cow, Sarah, I'm sitting here alone on Sunday afternoon, crying my eyes out after reading your blog. It is a fabulous tribute to a great man from a terrific granddaughter......

voo

hayleyrowan said...

that's very sweet and all true. the ride will be a memory that i will always miss. that first picture is classic. washing our hair in the freezing water, grandpa asking us to get something out of the trailer and it taking us about five times to figure out what he was talking about, being afraid of the horses stampeding our tent at night, and for some reason i remember you always having a clean pair of jeans every morning, and i would always wear the same horse - snot jeans the entire trip... oh what i would give to carve another year in that tree...

Robyn Cox said...

Ya, thanks Sarah. I am already emotional enough these days. A post like this doesn't help. What a great tribute to Karl. He has had a big influence on all of our lives.

VOO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VOO said...

Sarah --- this blog was excellent. You said all the right things. We all love Karl and we all feel like his Number #1 fans. I appreciate your tribute to him. You are pretty special yourself.
Barb

Lucky 7s said...

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing your memories. Your grandpa is a great guy! And you're right...everyone loves him!