6.03.2010

part two

The tribute of Jack's first year continues.
Today... a look at months 4-6.
...
It's hard for me to go back to these months.
It was during this time we learned that Jack had a tethered spinal cord.
Something that could eventually lead to severe nerve damage and severe physical impairment.
Jack endured spinal surgery to correct the problem at 4 months old.
His spine was cut into and repaired.
And it was as scary as it sounds.
It's definitely a time I could have gone without experiencing.
However, it changed me forever.
As a mother.
As a person.
...
It solidified me, and Brett, and Jack's bond.
Our family.
...
All went well, and Jack rebounded like the champ he is.
Of course I'd love him endlessly surgery or no surgery.
But, it definitely makes a birthday seem all the more worth celebrating, knowing what he had to overcome in his young first year.
So proud of my little pal for enduring such a big trial so early in life.
He couldn't have been more brave.
I've got a strong one on my hands.
He really is something.
///..
v And so...we continue.
3 more months of this champ.
...
......
September
San Francisco tripping
plane riding
13 hour a night sleeper
book lover
grasper
general anesthesia round 1: MRI of spine
rolling fool
...
October
Tethered Spinal Cord Surgery: Primary Children's Hospital
trooper of all troopers
halloween lion
cereal & fruit muncher
chewer of everything
rest & recovery
...
November
car ride soothing shenanigans
no thanks, veggies
mover, shaker, and scooter
we can breathe again
crib adorer
healed
and still
happy, happy happy.

4 comments:

Annie said...

I still can't get over him through all the surgery trauma. I remember visiting him at the hospital and he was trying to roll over and look up at me like nothing had even happened. What a huge blessing to have such knowledgeable doctors to correct a problem as serious as this. Plus the street cred that scar gives him will most definitely help him out during the jr. high years.

hayleyrowan said...

That was sad, but thank heavens it's over and he's so happy and healthy! I can't believe it's been an entire year since these babies were brand new. crazy.

Jessie said...

Where does the time go!!! Tell these little punks to stop growing already! In true Sarah fashion you've managed to out-do yourself with this post. Simply amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that he is over his surgery phase of life!! He is so adorable. I am so glad that I got to see those cute little cheeks in person today!