6.03.2010

First.

Last year right around this time, I had just walked out from the last day of school- classroom entirely cleared out- with my mind on one thing: having a baby.
...
I spent my days trying to picture what he'd look like, how it would be when he came, and when he would make his arrival.
This year, I am running around, gathering the goods for a birthday party.
For that same baby.
...
...
One Year.
I can hardly believe it.
...
I love where we're at right now.
Almost walking. Sleeping like a champ. Laughing. Playing.
But I loved the day he was born, too.
Sometimes I want to go back and start all over again.
And again.
And again.
Just so I can relive it all a bit slower.
Despite the insaneness (totally a word) of the day Jack was born,
it was by far, the absolute best day of my life.
A wonderful setup for what has been nothing but the best year I could imagine.
...
There is something so sentimental for me with him turning one.
It's the anniversary of Brett and I being thrust into parenthood.
It's the time of year that brings back such vivid memories of anticipation, excitement, and newness.
And it's a milestone that confirms the inevitable...that time really does go by (and fast!).
...
...
At the end of this year, I can honestly say that
Jack has been nothing but pleasant surprises.
Everything about him has been a first for us, and will be that way forever.
Obviously, he is our first baby.
He'll be the first to go through getting teeth, growing pains, and potty training.
And the first to head to kindergarten, high school, and college...
(but, I'm already about to lose it with him turning one, so we won't go there).
Looking back at our year of parental "firsts," I genuinely hope that the years to follow can bring just as many delightful firsts as this one has.
Something tells me that with Jack involved, I won't be disappointed.
...
I genuinely feel like it's quite an accomplishment for Jack to have survived this first year.
So, rather than be sad my baby is growing up,
I'm going to celebrate.
I get to go into his room, right now, see his goofy little bed head, and spend another day eating up his every move.
Totally worth celebrating.
...
So, in honor of this approaching first birthday of his...
I now present:
A Look Back at Jack
12 Months
...
...
june
......
..
born june 6, 2009
7 lbs 10 oz -19 inches
no pooper
snuggler
sleepyhead
...
july
......
blessed
thumb sucking
movie goer
tummy aches
all night sleeper
first time swimmer
cabin dweller
smiler
...
august
...
tub loving
laugher
learns to roll over
buzz #1
Jango fan
spine marker discovery
weekly grandma visits begin
tummy please
happy happy happy
...
...
(to be continued each day leading up to the big day)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jack, you are amazing! I seriously think first birthdays are kind of a hard day! Like I told you, I cried so hard when Jax turned one. But, now that we don't have babies and they are KIDS, maybe Ben and Jack can play!!! Hope his birthday is great!!

Annie said...

What an amazing post to an amazing little boy. I can't imagine my life without Jack in it. He always makes me smile. Don't fret about him turning one, just think of the excitement the next year will bring! I wish I could see your pictures, stupid puter.

Annie said...

Awww...I see them now! I'm going to cry. Too precious for words.