11.15.2009

Back to My Roots

(warning: this post is really important)
Today...
(and everyday for the past month)
it is an absolute miracle that I have not taken Brett's clippers to my mop for a nice buzz.
....
I am not kidding.
....
Not only am I a couple of weeks overdue for a cut.
...
I've been rocking this do (or some version of it) for 2 years.
...
For me, that's a long time. I get restless
...
That and the fact that I have a severe phobia of my hair looking like John & Kate's Kate.
Barf.
....
Thank the heavens up above...tomorrow is the day of my hair redemption...if I can wait that long.
....
When you have short hair the only alternative to growing it out (not happening) is to go shorter.....dun dun dun.
...
I want so bad to bust out a new, fresh, short do, but a little voice inside me says....beware....
remember 8th grade???
.....
Something about that voice, and the complex from an elementary douchebag accusing me of looking like a mushroom, give me a slight fear every time I get impulsive with my hair.
...
But, at this point it's a new do...or bald.
...
So, I returned to some old photos of my long history of short hair. Surely that would make me feel more confident in divorcing this hair-do at my appointment tomorrow.
..........
And now I present: Quite a History of Hair
Do enjoy.
If you can look past my cheeks, you will see the epitome of a Classic Mushroom.
Slightly flared and rounded on the sides, with a subtle dome on top.
Tempting.
..
...
This is a bit of a "throw your hair in the air like you just don't care" kind of version of the Mushroom Cut.
Tousled tresses have never looked finer.
.....
Now this shot serves 2 purposes.
It gives all of you trying to achieve this cut a better look at the side. It's got that stacked, climb your way to the head of the mushroom kind of effect.
I don't vividly recall having steps cut into my hair. Vanilla Ice must have had more of an impact than I thought.
The second purpose of this photo is the other short hair option present in the background.
Thank you, mother.
Thank you.
.....
I know I've paid homage to the whippee in previous blogs. This is a great styling option when you want to dress things up...say for your 1st grade school picture.
All you need is a little hairspray and a great brush technique, and wallah! Whippee!
.....
Now we get to an unfortunate time of life. Adolescence.
I kept a more sleek 'shroom during these days.
Tamed down the sides.
Parted down the middle.
A timeless look, really.
Just like my green overalls.
.....
I have no idea what happened to the bottom half of this picture.
(I do have some dignity)
I'll let you visualize it.
End of 8th grade.
Really small cheeks.
Dashing smile.
Over sized MRJH student council golf shirt.
But that's not important, really.
Let's get to the hair.
This is the year I was introduced to bleach.
I really took hair to a new level here.
In fact, I recall taking a picture from a magazine to the salon to achieve this look.
.....
Wonder if it was this one:
I really don't know how I could ever fear a haircut.
What, with a hair past like mine?
I'm a shoe-in for a great do!
Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Annie said...

I am crying right now! Funniest post ever, thanks for making my day. I think mom, Kate and I should write a similar hair documentary. Oh the woes of having short hair, you're just lucky the perm rods stayed far away from your mop.

Robyn Cox said...

hey you avoided the Mullet!! I'm pretty sure Kristeen and I sported one of those most of our up-bringing! You rocked the mushroom! You were a darling little girl...love the old photos!

Bianca said...

sarah! i just died laughing- you are so funny- i will never forget when you told me you have rod stewart hair.... but seriously, you are not kate, or rod, you are stylin', ok? can't wait to see the final result!!

jackiewankier said...

What a brave post!!! You were the absolute cutest little girl..and those cheeks make me cry. I loved every look you had..you are MY baby!

huggin said...

You are by far the funniest person that I know. Pretty sure I just died laughing. Also I am pretty sure that we had the same sized cheeks growing up.

hayleyrowan said...

these pictures made my day. love the sage green Gap overalls. i could post a picture of myself with my harry potter round glasses and rileys rugby shirts i used to wear... that was the tom boy stage. can't wait to see the new do, i'm sure it'll be cute.

Jessie said...

STOP IT!!! I seriously just peed my pants! Loved every look!

Annie said...

Please post a pic of your new style! I might be obsessed with it, AMAZING!

Crystal said...

That was The best post I have ever seen. Jessie and Annie told me to look at it and I am so glad I did. I seriously just woke Skylar up I was laughing so hard. Awesome hair!!!!

Lucky 7s said...

Annie told me to read this post for a good laugh. Unfortunately now my side hurts from laughing so hard. You should write a book!