6.14.2009

All in a Week's Time

Dear Jack, (he can already read)
You came to us just over a week now, and man it is hard to believe all that has come about in only a week. Never has one week changed your mama like this week has. Before you were born, everyone said, "You're life will never be the same..." and I thought, yeah yeah, of course not- that's the whole point, right? But, what I didn't realize is that I would suddenly feel things, see things, and become things, that I had never felt, seen, and been before.
I never knew that as each day passed I would want to freeze time to keep you just like you are now.
I never knew that I would so instantly feel connected to you. That didn't even take a week's time.
I didn't know that I could just sit and stare at you for approximately 23.5 hours of the day and be perfectly content.
I have never been so aware of my inadequecies as I have this week. But, in an instant, you're able to make me feel more confident that I've ever been just by looking at me like you know my voice.
I always knew that your dad was a great guy, but I didn't expect to see him change the second you were born. You can see how much he loves you already. He has been nothing but supportive, devoted, understanding, and comforting over this past week. Just a couple of nights ago, I heard him laughing hysterically. Suddenly, I realized that the Chappelle Show has been replaced by your little mug making funny faces and completely cracking him up. I am so glad and lucky that I get to do this parent thing with him.
He's going to take good care of us, buddy.
All in a short week, I have a new appreciation for my own mom and dad. I've always appreciated everything they've done for me (and that's A LOT), but now I have a taste what they've felt, and that's a whole new story.
The time we've been home together this week, has given me lots of time to think back to your birthday. It was a bit rough, dude, but it was OURS, together, and I love it.
I love you.
I'd sit on a donut for the rest of my life just to have you around like we have for this past week. I'm so happy to be able to have you around this week and every week to come, because I know I have lots more to learn from you and about 9 billion more pictures to take of you.
Thanks for being patient with us this week, mister. We'll get better at this and I'll make it my goal this week to save you from peeing in your own face ever again.
More than anything else, all in a week's time, you've made me genuinely happy.
Thanks, Jack.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo a million times.
Mom

8 comments:

Annie said...

That was the sweetest thing I've ever read. I was literally tearing up. I love you, Brett, and Jack so much. What am amazing family you've created!

Robyn Cox said...

What a sweet post Sarah...
It truly is amazing how these little babies affect our lives.
Jack looks adorable...I hope he keeps those cheeks forever!

joanne said...

ok,ok, enough with the crying (that would be me)and on with the life of Jack.
I think he's got it made, having a mom and pop like you!
It is great to see you so relaxed (or seemingly so)and so pleased with what you have created..it is truly amazing, isn't it.
Grandma and Granpa, very proud, and happy for both of you, and for baby Jack.
xoxoxoxo

joanne said...

please tell me why your blogspot comes up, when I am making a comment? This is a mistery that no one seems to be able to solve!
jt

joanne said...

I mean mystery! Was in a hurry, as I think the carrots are burning!
jt

annie and jared said...

holy cutest mom of the year! sar, i knew you would be great at this whole mommy thing. i know it is extremely busy and time flies so fast, but as soon as you have a second to play host to me, i would LOVE to come see his cute little face. you guys are amazing parents already, i can tell.
xo
annie

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have had such a good week. The nine months leading up to it are terrible, but it is amazing how all of your discomfort totally disappears when you see that little face. I am so happy that I got to meet him a few days ago and that you all are doing well.

Jennikunz said...

How cute sarah! Made me get all weepy! He's a cutie good job guys!