3.01.2015

My Birthdeeee


Man, oh man.
My 31st birthday was one for the books.

As per usual, it lasted an entire week... and I was spoiled beyond the beyond.
Everyone went way overboard from gifts, to preparations, to effort in my behalf.

Firstly (didn't get pics of this), but my mom, sisters, and I spent a night shopping and eating up at City Creek.  It's one of my all-time favorite activities, and I'm so glad we're getting back in to birthday season so we can go again soon!

The night before my birthday, my mom hosted a delicious Sunday birthday dinner.
She outdid herself, and Brett topped it off with one of the yummiest cakes I've ever tasted.

I thought things were about as good as they could get... until...

Brett gathered us all together for an announcement.
He informed me that he had arranged and everyone had prepared for a full on LIP SYNC BATTLE.
I got to watch.
They got to entertain me.
Oh, snap!  How well does he know me?!?!?

I could not believe the level of commitment everyone had for this.
Words are going to do very little to describe the level of awesomeness that ensued.  

Everyone performed a number... and the thought of them all practicing in their own privacy, was quite possibly the funniest part of the whole thing.  Especially since they all nailed their words AND came prepared with choreography!
Unbe-freaking-leavable!

I was left with the job of judging... and it turned out to be quite the task.

We drew names to determine their order, and things started off with Randy (perfect).


He got us all warmed up real nice from the get go.

He performed, "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers

His side squat dance move + his signature finger point. really brought the performance next level.

From the start, I think the kids were all a little embarrassed by everyone.
My grandparents, however, were entirely amused.
I don't know if I've ever seen them laugh so hard.

Even still, my sweet grandpa had to tell everyone how proud he was of them after their performance.
Sweetest little mug.

Next up was my dad.
He really brought the level of competition up a notch with an original song, by him, recorded and then lip synced by him.
\

He sang,"Happy Birthday, Sarah" by Curt Wankier



Dan was up next, and I knew before he even stepped on the stage that it was going to be uncomfortable and inappropriate.  
I was right.

He sang, "Debra" by Beck

His gestures, bedroom eyes, and the subject matter of the song had me beet purple, but major points for his delivery.  Wouldn't have expected anything less from Deano.

My mom came next with probably the biggest surprise of the night.
The second her song started, I hit the floor.


She sang, "All About that Bass"by Meghan Trainor.

OMG.


She had enlisted Lucy for some choreography help, and probably watched YouTube videos a thousand times in her prep.
There are no words.
And, I thought I couldn't possibly love her anymore than I already did.


Kate, of course, stepped up with her game face on.


She performed, "Young Guns" by Wham.
Lucy and Isabel joined in with their perfectly timed, perfectly delivered routine with her, and it was off the charts.  I think they could seriously win a real lip sync contest with this one!
So so good.

I think Brett was completely taken off guard 1) by everyone's willingness to participate 2) the level of prep from them all  3) the impressive choreography.
But, he showed up to play.



He performed, "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye.


So many perfectly timed thrusts, innuendo, and impeccable syncing with the words... it was steamy!



Lucy was up next.. and let me tell you...
this girl blew it up!


She performed, "Working"  by Michael Jackson.


Her dancing? Jaw dropping.



Annie was up next with a perfect shout out to our past.

I knew immediately what she was gonna do.

She performed, "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell.


It took everything inside me not to jump out of my chair and join her... as you can see, she gave it her all. LOL.
Her seductive performance made me the least uncomfortable out of all the other suggestive routines... what does that say about our relationship?



Izzy finished off the competition.


She performed a rousing rendition of "This is It" by Kenny Loggins

Like, what 10 year old even knows this song?


These girls, I mean.


I had the impossible task of picking a winner.
It was painful.

But, I finally decided on....


LUCY!!!!!!
Her performance was incredible, and her influence on so many of the other numbers couldn't be ignored!

At the end of the awards ceremony, Tucker treated us all to a little "Love Street" by the Doors.



Perfect for any 2 year old.


It was seriously one of the best birthday/nights of my life!
My cheeks and stomach still hurt from laughing so hard!
What good sports are they all?  Seriously!
I'm so lucky to be a part of a family that all get along so famously that we can have fun like this!








The night was topped off with watching the OSCARS!  I mean, you couldn't have tailor made a more perfect night for me!

The fellas took the wee ones home and the ladies and I stayed with my parents to watch the show.
Boo-ya.


The next morning's worth of celebrations started out EARLY.

Brett and the boys took me to breakfast at Kneader's, and then I was off to help in Jack's class.

Miss Molly even insisted that I wear the Birthday Hat... and the pre-schooolers all sang and danced around me.

After, we met up with the gals for lunch at Costa Vida.





I will never adequately be able to say how much they all mean to me.  

That night was low key... the boys, Brett, and I went to dinner and then rounded out the day with Hank's tournament basketball game.

I received so many calls, texts, gifts it was overwhelming.

So lucky to have such amazing people who care about me.

Also during the week, the Jones girls took me out for lunch, and then we all got together in Alpine for a birthday party.

I couldn't be more spoiled, really.

It was an incredible birthday, one that's gonna be hard to top!

Speaking of birthdays...
Jack got to celebrate his "school" birthday this week since he has a summer birthday.

I was able to go share a treat and a poster with his class. 


Remember that hat I mentioned Molly making me wear on my birthday?
Yep, this is it.



Not embarrassing at all.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I just have to comment on your amaze balls poster for Jack's birthday. OMG. Perfect in every way.