1.04.2010

Positively 2010

Happy New Year!
...
As I had been hearing so many resolutions...man, did I feel lazy. The thought of coming up with a resolution or two seemed daunting. Anyone else still utterly exhausted from the last 2 weeks of holiday-ing?
Brett, Jack, and I all took a 3 hour nap yesterday afternoon.
That definitely needs to happen more.
A tempting resolution.
...
The New Year brings with it a desire in me to take apart everything in my house, throw away, clean, and start new.
...
I can however be nothing but thankful and happy for what 2009 brought to my life.
...
a healthy pregnancy
Jack
another happy year with Brett
health (kind of)
Jack
friendship
Jack
successful surgery for my little sweetie
wrapping up teaching 1st grade full time
part time teaching gig
Jack
finally (sort of) furnishing my house
Jack
...
and so much more.
...
In fact, I loved so much of this past year, I'd kind of like to rewind.
And that's exactly where my resolution comes in.
...
I never did find that magic time remote I've been so desperately looking for.
...
But, I don't need it.
...
My resolution came to me after a treasured conversation I had with my sweet Grandpa Karl mixed with a conversation I had with Annie about her experience with him.
...
You see, my Grandpa is pretty much my hero.
He's played such an important role in my life.
Always one to give amazing words of wisdom and advice.
This grandpa of mine has been ill for a few months now, and is now on Hospice.
Most days he is quiet.
One lucky day last week, I was fortunate enough to catch him on a very clear day.
Back to his old tricks of teaching me the ways of life.
We talked about lots of things.
And we talked about time...
how he wishes he could fast forward it and how depending on the day I wish I could rewind, fast forward, or pause it.
...
And then, he said to me,
"You only have today. Live it and love it."
...
What a perfect thing for him to say.
It is, after all the way he has always lived.
...
And so for me, I am going to make my resolution to love every day.
Live it fully.
and
LOVE it.
...
I realize this may not be easy on many-a-day, but what's the point of a resolution that doesn't take work?
...
There's a lot of negativity out there.
Takes one to know one, as I will admit to being somewhat of a pessimist (I know...you're shocked)!
But, I think in my effort to love every day and every season of life, life will be seen all the more positively.
...
I'm going to try to let go of always expecting perfection from myself and others, and embrace the endearing moments of imperfection.
...
More laughter.
Less OCD.
Looking at the bright side.
And a bit of spontaneity.
...
Sounds good, right?
...
..
I'm going to start right now....
as Jack tears through my house.
(and I might even sing "Seize the Day" while I'm at it...Newsies anyone?)...
How awesome is this picture? Really?
No shirt, one sock, lounging position.
Awesome.
Or maybe I just convinced myself to keep my nap resolution...
(And for the record...I do dress my child.)

5 comments:

Annie said...

Oh man, I'm so glad you posted this so I don't have to! I have the same resolution this year--more acceptance, love, and joy. Living in the moment with consciousness and presence. My transformation to a hippy will be complete by 2011. I know we can do it together. I love you and would DIE without you in my life, just so you know. Jack needs to never wear pants again...maybe that should be a resolution of mine? Sounds comfy!

Jessie said...

Wow Sarah! What a great resolution! I second the nap motion though. Happy New Year. Love ya pal!

hayleyrowan said...

i agree thats a good resolution. i'm doing the same thing with my house, it takes me two days to tear it apart and all month to put it back together.

KristenJohnson said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, reading your blog! It always uplifts me, and then makes me roll on the ground laughing! You are the best! And I don't believe that you ever dress your child!! HE HE

huggin said...

How I have missed that Jack has the most amazing crib ever? The colors and distressed wood?! I die. I kid you not I literally thought I wonder where she got it, because I hope they make big people beds.