11.12.2015

Russell's Birth Story

Well...it happened.

Jones #3 came, and we're 3 weeks in to his sweet little life.

I think I'm finally at an emotional point where I can handle writing the story of his birth  Why do I get such a confused brain post-pregnancy and mourn every single day that passes so fast? How can a messed up mind miss being pregnant?!? Thanks hormones.

Anyway, I'm in a good place, and can finally kind of come to grips with the fact that time is passing, and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it!!!

So... here it is... the story of Russell Que Jones.



As I said in earlier posts, the last month of pregnancy was pretty much hell.
I truly think I was in labor of one form or another for that entire month!

But, alas... I made it to my induction date: October 22, 2015.
(39 weeks)

(Confession: this picture was actually taken 4 days before I was induced at one of our routine hospital stops when I thought I was in labor!  But, I forgot to take a pre-labor, last day of pregnancy pic...so this will do.)

The hospital had not given me a time to show up on the morning of the 22nd, so I woke up from a surprisingly restful night and got ready for the big day.  It was kind of nice not to have to be at the hospital at like 6 am, because I was able to get myself, the boys, and the house all ready before taking off to the hospital.

Brett and I got the boys off to school, and then I made Brett call the hospital because I was going nuts waiting for them to let me know when to come.
Lucky for me, they said to come right then.

At 10:00 am, I checked into Labor & Delivery at Mountain Point, where they informed me that they had a really busy morning with several babies born/being born that day.
Because it is a new hospital, we saw the effects of that busy birthing day in several ways throughout our stay, but nonetheless... it all turned out to be fine.

They put in my IV with petocin close to 11:00 am, and the anesthesiaologist got my epidural in and pumping by about 11:30.  Things were feeling grand, but progressing pretty slow.


I had some good company during this easy and comfortable phase of the process.


Waiting...waiting...


I showed up dilated to a 5, and by 1:45- was only at a 6.
I figured things would continue to move slowly, and that once I even reached a 10, it would still be a while if things went anything like they did when I delivered Jack and Tucker.

So... knowing my history, Craig and Laurel left to run some nearby errands... my mom went to grab some lunch downstairs... things were pretty calm.

Around this time, I started feeling my contractions in just one spot where it would seem the epidural was not numbing.  It was uncomfortable and the anesthesiologist came back to evaluate and determine if they were going to administer more meds to me or not.  I couldn't move my legs as it was, and felt pretty numb where it mattered. :)
The nurse (who I really really really liked), told the anesthesiologist to wait on giving me more as she believed that I was just starting to progress fast.  She had me rotate from side to side through a few contractions, and feeling the pain in that one spot made me SUPER grateful to have an epidural doing most of it's job to spare me the real pain. 
At about 2:10, the nurse checked me and to my complete shock...I was at a 10!!!
In about 20 minutes, I went from a 6 to a 10, and we were ready to PUSH!

My mom had just come back up and was just as shocked as the rest of us, and she gave a nervous, anxious, surprised me a reassuring hug and kiss and went to wait in the hall.
(She would turn out to be the only one there during the delivery because of the speed of things!)

I was shakey and teary and caught a little off guard by the speed of things!

Dr. Lamoreaux came in at 2:15, and at about 2:20, I started pushing.
A contraction came, I held my breath, and PUSHED!
(I was braced to do this for at least a half hour to an hour.)

The doctor and Brett both expressed some surprise, and told me this was going to go fast.
In that same contraction, they told me to push again... so I did... and they told me I could see him if I looked down.
Ew.
But, really?

Dr. Lamoreaux said that if I bent over to see him (TMI?), it would help him come out, so I did...and holy crap! This baby was coming!!

One last push and at 2:23 pm my little sweetheart was here!
(Yes, that was 1 contraction, 3 pushes)

I was in total and complete shock at the ease of labor... and the speed at which things happened!

They handed him to me, and he was perfect!


The first thing I said when I saw him was, "He looks just like my other boys!"

I got to hold him for a long time, and Brett cut the umbilical cord while I held him.
He didn't have breathing issues like Jack and Tucker did, so he stayed with us!









He weighed in at 7 lbs 7 oz
19 inches
Perfect.


They were also so understaffed, that they didn't take him to the nursery to completely wash him for hours! 




I was in total and complete heaven holding my new little sweetie, and he immediately took to the bottle and the binky.  Amazing.


(Side story... the stupid nurse put his ID band on too tight, and when she went to cut it off, cut his little wrist!  His first wound in life!)




There are few things in life that I've ever experienced as beautiful and wonderful as  experiencing the birth with and seeing Brett with our new babies. 


I'm lucky to have him as my supportive, calming, humorous, concerned, and loving partner.



And so, that's the story!
WE DID IT!

This little sweetheart made me love labor (didn't think that would ever be possible). and had me wrapped around his tiny little finger immediately!

It's always so fascinating to me to not only experience pregnancy, but to experience the feeling after.  I'm still in awe that he and I shared the same body for 10 long months, and that now he's here in our family.  I sort of miss him kicking around in there, but I already can't imagine life without him here.
One thing is for sure, I am so thankful for a body that allowed me to carry him and bring him safely here.
I'm even more thankful that we're both healthy...I'm recovered... and loving life with this new angel.


No comments: