7.20.2012

Jack Takes Swimming Lessons

While the Jones family was all in town for the month of July, Brett's mom arranged swimming/tennis lessons for all of the (thousands) of grandkids.
She's amazing...just let that be known.

Since Jack is a wee too little for tennis, he just partook in the swimming portion.
We went to a private pool up in Alpine, and the class was taught by Zack- a 17 year old swimming champ.
Jack took lessons with his cousins...Brynne, Clayt, Soren, Zetta, and Becca.
We went for an entire week the first week in July, took one week off, and then took the second half every day this week.

Jack tends to be a very careful and cautions child.
All of June, I had been working with him to be less timid in the pool when we would go swimming at Riverside.
I think he just really hates being cold...but, after weeks, he was starting to love the water.

At the beginning of lessons-- Jack reverted back to being pretty apprehensive about the whole thing.  I'd get in with him (I think the water may have been 32 degrees), and he'd hang on me and participate about 50%.

As the first week went on, he got a little less clingy, and he responded really well when he was one-on-one with Zack.  My expectations were pretty low--he is only 3 after all.
I just wanted him to not be afraid, and to have fun.

The week we had off, we went swimming as a family three times. 
Every time he got more and more into the water, and less and less scared.
We had a total breakthrough.

Now- fast forward to Monday of the second week of lessons.
We get to the pool- and Jack is READY TO GO.
Rather than resisting, he wanted to get right in!
I had noticed that he did a lot better at lessons when I wasn't in the pool with him.  He just used me as a crutch to whine on...and with Zack he'd get to embarrassed to pull those shenanigans.
So- I sat on the side with Brett's mom, sisters, and Tucker.
He was blowing bubbles, kicking his feet, following right along with everything Zack was having them do.
After about 15 minutes of the lesson going beautifully, I was in conversation with Michelle (who was holding Tuck), bent over to my diaper bag, and suddenly heard Brett's mom yelling, "JACK! JACK!"

I looked up...and there was no Jack.
I could literally see him sinking.
My heart was more than sinking.
I jumped up and ran as fast as I could, and luckily Zack had swam over to him to save him.
I am an exaggerator- but this is no exaggeration--he was underwater for 15-20 seconds!!
 It felt like 20 hours.
He was completely underwater, but I could see him struggling as I ran to him.
As Zack lifted him out to me, he was totally aware- stunned- but not really coughing at all.
The little champ had held his breath and didn't even swallow any water!
He did exactly what they teach you to do (even though he hadn't been taught), and I have never been so relieved.
Everyone cheered and told him what a good swimmer he is, and he was feeling proud as a peacock.
But- ready to get out, and I couldn't blame him.
I think I checked on him during his nap that day 85 times!

I think what happened was that as Jack stood with Soren on the step (in the picture below...you can see how it borders the outer edge of the pool)- Zack had Brynne in the middle of the pool.  Jack must have just stepped off the end not knowing it didn't continue..and kaboom...he was into the big blue (5 feet deep!).


The rest of the week was a little traumatic.  
I wanted to keep taking him because I didn't want him to forever hate and fear the water.
He cried, he was scared, but he got in the water every time.

Each day got a little better.
I stopped getting in with him again, he wouldn't cry, and he put on a brave face and endured.
I'm so proud of him.
He was terrified, but didn't want Zack to see, and he just kept trying.

He was a darling and willing little student, and I was so happy to see him listen to his teacher.
He really did love Zack.

These pictures are from today (his last day of lessons)...where he was back to jumping, kicking, and SMILING!




Jack in goggles is amazing in every way.







We took some steps back with our little scare, and permanently scarred me for life (I think I hate swimming lessons)...but, all ended well!
I really did like seeing Jack in a learning environment, and was really proud of my little buddy.
We had fun doing this together and indulging in a green Snowasis every day on our way home.

Until next year's lessons... 
Or not.

5 comments:

Robyn Cox said...

I had to actually jump in the pool one year at swimming lessons to grab Alex. I was in my street clothes and everything. He had just had a session where they worked with life jackets. They then took them off and I think he thought he still had his on....kind of didn't realize he would't float if he jumped in. His teacher was not right there and in he went. I had to run over, jump in, and rescue. It happens so fast. Glad it all turned out ok! Jack sure is a cute little guy!

Robyn Cox said...

And yes, it really is 4:25am -- can't sleep. :)

Annie said...

Jack in goggles is my favorite thing ever. I can't stop giggling at those pictures. What a little sweetheart to get back in after a near death experience. He is such a tough little guy. I give you mad props for sticking with swimming lessons. They are the biggest pain in the a$$ ever.

Lucky 7s said...

Jack is awesome!! Just wait.. in 15 years he'll be at the Olympics swimming the 100 meters race!! I agree with Annie - I love the pic of him in goggles - he is too darn cute!!

hayleyrowan said...

Scary! Glad he's ok!